I am interested both in abstract quantum information theory and in using ideas and tools from (quantum) information theory to obtain interesting and rigorous results in other areas, in particular in the theory of quantum many-body systems and statistical physics.
I am currently a postdoctoral researcher in the group of Tobias Osborne and Reinhard Werner at Leibniz University Hannover. Previously, I was a researcher in the quantum information theory group of Renato Renner at ETH Zurich. I did my PhD in Jens Eisert's group at FU Berlin.
I am always happy to receive e-mails regarding my work, so please feel invited to send any questions or comments. My CV is available on request.
Most of my publications can be found on the arXiv.
- APS Physics selected our paper on (re-)discovering physical concepts using neural networks as one of the highlights of the year 2020.
- APS Physics published a viewpoint featuring our paper on equilibration in entanglement-ergodic quantum systems. Pro-physik.de published a similar piece (in German).
- APS Physics published a viewpoint on our paper on using neural networks to (re-)discover physical concepts in simply toy models. NZZ also published an article in German. Before that, Nature published an article in the News section. This piece was followed up by a piece in unite.ai and at bigthink.com. MIT Technology Review previously published a similar piece. Nautilus published a piece criticizing the reporting about our and other papers.
- The IQOQI Vienna issued a press release on our paper "von Neumann entropy from unitarity" published in PRL. In the paper we formulate the "catalytic entropy conjecture", which is now problem 45 on the list of open problems inquantum information theory. Update: In this preprint I provide an affirmative solution to the catalytic entropy conjecture.
- Our paper on "Statistical Ensembles without Typicality" published in Nature Communications was featured at ProPhysik (German). The FU Berlin also issued a press release (German).
Correlations in typicality and an affirmative solution to the exact catalytic entropy conjecture
High-temperature thermalization implies the emergence of quantum state designs
H.W., Ingo Roth arXiv:2202.01669
Quantized and maximum entanglement from sublattice symmetry
H.W., Tobias J. Osborne arXiv:2112.15177
Extensive Rényi entropies in matrix product states
Alberto Rolandi, H.W. arXiv:2008.11764
Operationally meaningful representations of physical systems in neural networks
Hendrik Poulsen Nautrup, Tony Metger, Raban Iten, Sofiene Jerbi, Lea M. Trenkwalder, H.W., Hans J. Briegel, Renato Renner, arXiv:2001.00593
Towards local equilibration in closed interacting quantum many-body systems
H.W., Marcel Goihl, Christian Krumnow, Jens Eisert, arXiv:1704.06291
See also publication 13).
25) Revisiting the equality conditions of the data processing inequality for the sandwiched Rényi divergence
Jinzhao Wang, H.W.
J. Math. Phys. 63, 052203 (2022). arXiv:2009.14197
24) Lieb-Robinson bounds imply locality of interactions
H.W., Albert H. Werner
Phys. Rev. B 105, 125101 (2022). arXiv:2006.10062
23) The variance of relative surprisal as single-shot quantifier
Paul Boes, Nelly H. Y. Ng, H.W.
PRX Quantum 3, 010325 (2022). arXiv:2009.08391
22) Entropy and reversible catalysis
Phys. Rev. Lett. 127, 260402 (2021).arXiv:2012.05573
21) Revivals imply quantum many-body scars
Álvaro M. Alhambra, Anurag Anshu, H.W.
Phys. Rev. B 101, 205107 (2020).arXiv:1911.05637
20) By-passing fluctuation theorems
Paul Boes, Rodrigo Gallego, Nelly H. Y. Ng, Jens Eisert, H.W.
Quantum 4, 231 (2020). arXiv:1904.01314
19) Discovering physical concepts with neural networks
Raban Iten, Tony Metger, H.W., Lidia del Rio, Renato Renner,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 010508 (2020), Editor's suggestion
Media coverage: APS Physics Highlights of the Year 2020
, NZZ (Neue Züricher Zeitung, in German)
, Viewpoint in APS Physics
, MIT Technology Review
17) Single-shot holographic compression from the area law
H.W., Jens Eisert,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 190501 (2019)arXiv:1809.10156
16) Von Neumann entropy from unitarity
Paul Boes, Jens Eisert, Rodrigo Gallego, Markus P. Müller, H.W. ,
Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 210402 (2019)arXiv:1807.08773
Media coverage:Press release by IQOQI
15) Imperfect Thermalizations Allow for Optimal Thermodynamic Processes
Elisa Bäumer, Marti Perarnau-Llobet, Philipp Kammerlander, H.W., Renato Renner,
Quantum 3, 153 (2019)arXiv:1712.07128v4
14) A novel 3D printed radial collimator for x-ray diffraction,
S. Kowarik, L. Bogula, S. Boitano, F. Carlà, H. Pithan, P. Schäfer, H.W., A. Zykov, and L. Pithan,
Review of Scientific Instruments 90, 035102 (2019)
13) Equilibration times in closed quantum many-body systems
H.W., Thiago de Oliveira, Anthony J. Short, Jens Eisert,
Contribution to "Thermodynamics in the quantum regime - recent progress and outlook", F. Binder, L. A. Correa, C. Gogolin, J. Anders, and G. Adesso (eds.) (Springer, Berlin, 2018)arXiv:1805.06422
12) Catalytic quantum randomness
Paul Boes, H.W., Rodrigo Gallego, Jens Eisert,
Phys. Rev. X 8, 041016 (2018)
11) What it takes to avoid equilibration
Rodrigo Gallego, H.W., Jens Eisert, Christian Gogolin
Phys. Rev. A 98, 022135 (2018)arXiv:1711.09832
9) Strong coupling corrections in quantum thermodynamics
Marti Perarnau-Llobet, H.W., Arnau Riera, Rodrigo Gallego, Jens Eisert
Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 120602 (2018)arXiv:1704.05864
8) Axiomatic characterization of the quantum relative entropy and free energy
H.W., Rodrigo Gallego, Jens Eisert
Entropy 19, 241 (2017)arXiv:1702.08473
7) The third law of thermodynamics as a single inequality
H.W., Rodrigo Gallego
Phys. Rev. X 7, 041033 (2017)arXiv:1701.07478
6) Quantum thermodynamics with local control
Jaqueline Lekscha, H.W., Jens Eisert, Rodrigo Gallego
Physical Review E 97 (2), 022142 (2018)arXiv:1612.00029
5) Towards holography via quantum source-channel codes
Fernando Pastawski, Jens Eisert, H.W.
Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 020501 (2017)arXiv:1611.07528
4) Emergence of spontaneous symmetry breaking in dissipative lattice systems
H.W., Michael J. Kastoryano, Albert H. Werner, Jens Eisert
J. Math. Phys. 58, 033302 (2017)
3) Work and entropy production in generalised Gibbs ensembles
Marti Perarnau-Llobet, Arnau Riera, Rodrigo Gallego, H. W., Jens Eisert
New J. Phys., 18, 123035 (2016)
2) Thermodynamic work form operational principles
Rodrigo Gallego, Jens Eisert, H.W.
New J. Phys. 18, 103017 (2016)
1) Second Laws under control restrictions
H.W., Rodrigo Gallego, Jens Eisert
Phys. Rev. E 93, 042126 (2016)arXiv:1411.3754
Henrik Wilming, Schwarzer Bär 6, 30449 Hannover, Germany/Deutschland